Sunday, December 11, 2011

Miss Choke

All growing up, I played competitive sports. I started off dancing, then played softball, soccer, volleyball and even badminton. At every level that I played, I experienced pressure. Obviously the pressured varied from my t-ball game to my fast-pitch softball game that would take us to the Little League World Series if we won. But the pressure existed. 

Throughout those years, my dad tried to teach me about how to deal with the pressure by telling me, "Don't choke!" Countless times I went up to bat and turned my head to see my dad waving a 20 dollar bill at me mouthing, "Home run! Don't choke." My feet would sink deeper into the dirt.

Throughout the years, I have tried to figure out how to not choke. I've tried saying a prayer, taking a deep breath, focusing on the 'ball', closing my eyes, over-eating, taking a class that teaches me how to take tests, etc. Regardless of all those tests, the way I avoid 'choking' is by being prepared.

At BYU-Idaho, we believe in a model of learning. Check it out here. I use to teach classes to freshman on campus on how they can apply this learning into their studies and life in general a few semesters ago. I truly believe in it and I have seen it work in my studies as well as my personal life.

As I embark on my final classes and tests of my undergraduate degree, I am reminded that I have prepared, taught my classmates and I have pondered and done my work. I can now step up to the plate, clench my bat and take a swing. No choking necessary.




Photobucket



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...