Monday, October 31, 2011

Miss Innovation

"Innovation is more than just being creative, it's about finding new platforms for growth." Clark Gilbert

The College of Business and Communication Summit went so well! I got to campus at 7:30 AM and left campus at 7:30 PM. A long day but well worth it.

I learned so much from the speakers. Here are my notes:

Curtis Peterson-
  • Don't lose faith! You will find a job. 
  • You may not end up in the field of work that you expected. 
  • Internships are crucial, whether the company is big or small.
Susan Preytor
  • Do I want to be an entrepreneur? 
  • Non-profit isn't always the best option for a business is you are working with investors. 
  • You need resources to create.
Clark Gilbert
  • There are two aspects to innovation.
  1. Sustaining Innovation-to maintain creating and changing norms to create a profit.
  2. Disruptive Innovation-companies innovate faster than customers' lives change.
An few examples of disruptive innovations are: the kindle, the ipod, the telephone, the electric car and online media. All of these inventions took companies out of their comfort zones, took a step into the dark and plunged into the future.

This presentation hit me the hardest. As I reflect upon the Talent Activities program, which I am the area director for, we have made many changes this semester. We went on faith, with little logic, but are seeing results. Some good and some 'learning experiences'. Regardless, I am glad that we made them because I know they will help the program in the future.

In a late post, I will talk about the innovations we have made this semester in the program. Stay tuned. :)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...