Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Miss This & That

Tomorrow is finally the LDSBA! We spent a few hours the other day setting up for the event. All the prep going into it is finally going to go into play with very few errors or room for mistake. David Osmond is going to be performing and informed us he was using a guitar so I had to call the sound equipment guys to see if we could get a DI box. So I was able to take care of that and confirm final details for A/V equipment.

Then we had another mini crisis... We ordered sweaters for us to wear at the event with our logo on it and we got them back and they had Deseret Book in RED not WHITE like we had ordered. After a few brainstorming ideas we decided to wear those in the morning and wait for the new ones to come in the afternoon.

I have been able to work on the tickets for LDSBA. Each author will be giving away 75 free signed copies of their book or CD. I made tickets for all 17 authors and printed them but on different color paper. An hour before each signing, the first 75 companies can claim a ticket for the authors product. I have an excel document with over 100 different book companies that are to claim these tickets. I played around on the excel sheet and was able to make a document with check boxes for each author. It made me start thinking about if one of these authors were to come up to me, I don't know if I would even recognize them?? So I made another sheet. I made a table with two columns and a row for each author. I put in the right hand column the authors picture and a picture of their item, so I could recognize them. In the other column I put their signing time and what time ticket claim starts at. I will be manning the ticket station and I am super excited.

It's been fun to be a part of this event because it is annual and they basically fill in the blanks and follow the same format of the prior years. Starting a new event however is more difficult. Pioneering the way for future book festivals has been intersting. I try to think of that every time we order a new product to sell or print. How can we be the most resourceful? How do I get more with less? Speaking of printing...The signs are struggling for the festival. It is a mess trying to coordinate BUT we do have a graphic designer! My friend Stuart from BYU-I was in Salt Lake this week and I remembered and pitched that we use him to design. They agreed and he is getting paid to design on the banners. I am really excited for him. He works quickly and efficiently and that is why I knew I could refer him.

Principles Learned: Be willing to help with anything! Whether it be this, or whether it be that, showing that you can help in any way is important. Even if it is taking miscellaneous items back and forth to a storage room.

Oh! I started using LinkIn as well so search me out and add me!

Oh, Oh! I am LOVING Driven By Larry H. Miller. I realized that I don't think I have ever read an autobiography before. It makes me think about my life and if it worth writing down. I read at Temple Square during my lunch break today with the storm clouds rolling in and thunder roaring. It was risky but relaxing.

1 comment:

  1. Mallory! Loving your Blog. we need to get together! you have been here for way too long for us to have not hung out! call me soon or i will be calling you!! love ya!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...