Sunday, July 25, 2010

Miss Carpe Diem

Ever since high school I envied college students. I enjoyed schooling and learning and thirsted for not only education but for experience. Television displayed false realities about 'college life' which I understood but still hoped to attend a university where I could succeed. At my current university, Brigham Young University--Idaho I have received arm-fulls of opportunities to gain experience. I have participated in planning 3 major events on campus as well as being employed in event services as a student event coordinator. I also conducted all fan contests for the competitive sports program on campus wide. These opportunities gave me not only experience but a sense of purpose that has changed my vision.

I heard about the opportunity of an Internship Expedition that would take place in June this summer. On these expeditions they visit with several companies where questions, business cards and resumes are exchanged. I searched out the cities they would be visiting and noticed Salt Lake City, Utah and that interested me. I applied the day before and was accepted to attend. During our 3 day and 2 night journey through the concrete jungle of Salt Lake City, I paid close attention to the companies we visited and asked several questions. Not every place interested me and I left my resume with those that appealed to me on different levels. My goal was to find a company where I could intern and gain experience in public relations and especially events marketing.

Now let me flash back...

Memorial Day weekend I came to Utah to visit friends. While staying over at a friends cabin I was able to talk to an inspiring woman about her career in the communications field. She is very well known in the Salt Lake market and she really impressed me. I asked for her contact information and for her to keep me in mind for any opportunities she knew of as far as internships. I emailed her to follow up and sent her a list of the companies that I would be visiting with in Salt Lake this June. She listed names of people she knew at the majority of the companies and gave me permission to use her name. The power of a name is incredible. During our visit with Deseret Book, I asked for a specific person, offered a name, submitted my resume and receive an email one week letter with an invitation to interview for an internship. Now I stand here today, in Salt Lake City, ready and able to embark on what feels like a literal dream.

Principles learned: 1. Dreams CAN come true. 2. Network, network, network. 3. Experience equals evidence. And of course 4. "Seize the day."

Follow me and see...

3 comments:

  1. This makes me so happy :) You're amazing, Mal! I'm so glad you're living the dream and "seizing the day."

    Keep doing what you're doing. You have some amazing things in store. I can tell :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squaaawwk! Mal I love your blog! Now I won't miss any details about your life! I'll be your #1 blog fan!!! Love you so much really wish you were here so we can laugh and have fun everyday but it looks like you are where you're supposed to be for now. You're a star! Squawker squawk!

    Ps Tristan leaves august 4th for the Phillippines! I thought you'd be happy to hear that like the rest of us. We are thrilled and so proud of him!!! 2 years till you're my sister in law now ;) hahaha seriously though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liv!! You little squawker mcsquawk!! I miss you and wish we could laugh and hang out! Come to Utah this month! You can stay with me. I won't be in AZ till Thanksgiving! Tell Tristan I said bye and that I will wait for him! ;) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...